perl [was: in defense of Java, again]

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Fri Jan 27 11:29:06 MST 2006

On Jan 27, 2006, at 11:14 AM, Jonathan Ellis wrote:

>> Well, you put down programmers, not the language, when you said
>> "That's
>> why these days you mostly see sysadmins and other not-really-
>> experienced
>> developers using Perl."
>
> It's no sin to be inexperienced.  We all start that way.  Just like me
> and my Pascal.

You have clearly implied that any developer that continues to use
Perl must be inexperienced, and will eventually 'grow out of it' like
you apparently grew out of Pascal.  The weasel word 'mostly' doesn't
get you out of that.

That's both clearly false (by evidence of many counterexamples) and
insulting to anyone who is experienced and chooses to use perl.  If
you didn't intend that, fess up an apologize.  Otherwise, admit that
you intended to be insulting and quit pretending that you have a real
argument.

I don't like perl, but that doesn't make perl an inherently bad
language or somehow unsuitable for software development work.

		--Levi