perl [was: in defense of Java, again]

Roberto Mello rmello at fslc.usu.edu
Fri Jan 27 10:07:28 MST 2006

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 09:55:47AM -0700, Stuart Jansen wrote:

> Finally, if there's any confusion about the 'distinction between
> "putting down Perl" and "putting down Perl programmers"', it's entirely
> your fault. You've not been doing a good job of maintaining the
> distinction.

That sentence is adamant and certain that it seems to take the
reader's interpreation of Jonathan's messages completely out of the
equation. It also seems pretty darn close to an ad hominem.

Meaning implied differs from meaning interpreted. For people with strong
sentiments and/or investments in something that is been criticized, an
obvious defense mechanism would be to vehemently deny that criticism.

Attempting to be fair, I have not seen anything in Jonathan's Perl
messages that implied "Perl programmers suck".

-Roberto

--
Once upon a time there was 3 little pigs, P1, P2 and P3