perl [was: in defense of Java, again]

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Fri Jan 27 09:55:47 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 06:38 -0800, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> Which is the long way of saying, I hope the the distinction between
> "putting down Perl" and "putting down Perl programmers" is not lost
> here.

I think you're either missing or deliberately ignoring an important
message here. I'm probably the most abrasive person on this list, and
I've never been told I was being insulting so many times as you have
recently.

There could be a couple of reasons for that. One is that I generally try
not to attack people. (Which is different from avoiding making people
mad.) I strongly dislike PHP. As a result, I often say things like:

"I've suffered too much at the hands of PHP." "Most PHP code I've read
is hopelessly ugly spagehetti." "PHP has a horrible security track
record." "Everything I need to know about PHP-Nuke I learned from
bugtraq." "The point at which you create addslashes() should be the
point at which you realize something is horribly wrong."

I try not to say "All PHP users are amateurs."

Instead, it could be that the list has gotten used to me and has decided
I'm hopeless. In which case, welcome to the group, you seem to be
developing a reputation too.

The final possibility is that the majority of the list has blacklisted
me and never sees my message. Is that really a path you want to follow?
Either way, I suggest you think about why people have been giving you
the feedback they have.

Finally, if there's any confusion about the 'distinction between
"putting down Perl" and "putting down Perl programmers"', it's entirely
your fault. You've not been doing a good job of maintaining the
distinction.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com
* ^From:.*sjansen@