Internal vs external email

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Thu Jan 26 10:45:56 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 08:19 -0700, Stephen Smith wrote:
> The only thing I know about Squid is that it is an internet proxy.
> How does it selectively block internet access without knowning the
> clients IP address (DHCP would issue different addresses each day).
It could pop open a window when a users starts a browser and ask for a
username and pasword.  Also, it could automatically get that information
from Windows (if they logged onto a domain).

>  Can it block by MAC address?  From the email point of view, I can see
> that it could block by the sender's address, but I am at a loss as to
> how it would block internet access.
Squid would take care of Internet usage *not* email - unless it was
web-based email like gmail.

> While your point about going to another PC to gain access is valid,
> unless they log into that PC using their credentials, I don't know how
> access could be prevented.
Again, Squid can check those same credentials to allow or disallow.
JoeUser gets the same Internet access wherever he logs on.

> Frankly, I find that the restrictions make my job excessively
> difficult, it would be better to have the ability to view what is
> being accessed on the web by each computer.
If Squid does authentication by the IP then you see usage reports based
on IP.  If you authentication by usernames then you see usage by
usernames (much more helpful).

> Does Squid have a UI that makes viewing by computer easy or is there
> add-on tools to view the logs and cache by machine name, MAC or IP?
Mostly web based reports.  Nothing to pretty.

Gabe