perl [was: in defense of Java, again]

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Thu Jan 26 10:25:02 MST 2006

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 09:08:27AM -0700, Jesse Stay wrote:

> >From my experience of working with Java developers (I know there are
> some very smart ones on this list, so please don't take this as a
> personal stab at you), the majority that I am aware of are most aware
> of Java, very closed-minded, more prone to choose closed-source
> solutions, and generally can't stay as up with the latest trends and
> standards, other than those relating to Java.  I very much enjoy my
> current job over my last because of this openness and speed of
> development we are able to work in.

There are lots of developers like that who program in Visual Basic, C,
C++ (esp. w/ Visual Studio), C#, Cobol, Fortran, etc.  There are LOTS
of developers who don't value self-improvement, distrust open source,
and aren't particularly innovative.  I don't think most of them enjoy
their jobs.

I submit that all your observations say about Java is that it is
popular.  Any language with the mind-share that Java has will be able
to attract the lowest common denominator developer.  If Ruby suddenly
made huge inroads in corporate development, you would find the same
thing.  There would still be innovative, open-minded developers using
Ruby, and it would still be a good language.  Even if a few hundred
thousand programmers who hate programming were forced to start using
it.

Saying "one company is a lousy development environment and they use
java" does not prove anything about the relative merits of a language.
There are LOTS of companies that would suck to work for no matter what
language they chose.

Barry Roberts