in defense of Java, again [was: Re: Task Scheduling]

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Thu Jan 26 09:39:29 MST 2006

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Gregory Hill wrote:
>> Python for some, Perl for others, use the
>> one that is easier for you.  For me, Python seemed to bring all the
>> things I didn't like about Java to a scripting language, without the
>> good features.
>
> Amen.  I don't find Perl difficult to read at all, except for the cases
> where it is purposely obfuscated.

I'll ditto that one.

I've got a question for all the perl-bashers out there ... the piece of
perl code that I use most on my machine is frozen-bubble. When I look
through the frozen-bubble code it is instantly readable. Perhaps could one
of you take a look through the frozen-bubble source code and point out to
me a few examples of really unreadable or hard-to-follow code that would
be much more elegant in your Language of Choice[tm]? That might help me
understand a little better what specifically you don't like about the
language.

Thanks,
 	~ Ross

p.s. if you don't have frozen-bubble on your machine, here's a patched
version that's similar enough I think to the original code for our
purposes:

http://funderburgs.net/games/frozen-bubble