perl [was: in defense of Java, again]

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at carnageblender.com
Thu Jan 26 09:36:50 MST 2006

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 09:08:27 -0700, "Jesse Stay" <jessestay at gmail.com>
said:
> From my experience of working with Java developers (I know there are
> some very smart ones on this list, so please don't take this as a
> personal stab at you), the majority that I am aware of are most aware
> of Java, very closed-minded, more prone to choose closed-source
> solutions, and generally can't stay as up with the latest trends and
> standards, other than those relating to Java.

Well, if that was directed at me, you're jumping to the wrong
conclusion.  If you read a bit farther back, you'll see that I'm not
exactly a Java zealot.  And I'm not a perl zealot.  So I often
offend both, because I tell Java people, "not all dynamic languages
are as crufty and prone to spaghettiness as perl!" and I tell perl
people, "not all clean language designs are as rigid as Java!"

Sometimes it is hard to be a follower of the Middle Way. :)

-Jonathan