Internal vs external email

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Thu Jan 26 08:25:50 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 18:02 -0700, Stephen Smith wrote:
> I'm running a helpdesk application that uses email for notification.
> However, the company does not want all users to have email or internet
> access outside of the private net (too much time wasted on non-business
> activities).

My company has similar philosophies. Our justification for keeping
internal and external email separate is that the internal server is
Exchange (*yuck*) and nobody trusts it for anything. It's tied into our
helpdesk system as well. We do pull some external email in through a POP
agent, but that's it.

Some of us use intelligent mail clients, like Evolution, which are smart
about which SMTP server to use based on account. Most people use Outlook
for Exchange (for the groupware features), but since it's brain-dead
they require a second client for external email. Historically that was
Eudora, but we've pretty much migrated to Thunderbird.

Having two email clients is a pain, but much less so than trying to
trick Outlook into working. And it keeps the two completely separate,
which is good except for when you try to forward an external message
internally, or vice versa. Realistically, it hasn't been a problem for
us.

Corey