perl [was: in defense of Java, again]

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at carnageblender.com
Thu Jan 26 08:15:16 MST 2006

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 07:56:33 -0700, "Stuart Jansen"
<sjansen at buscaluz.org> said:
> On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 05:16 -0800, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> > That's why these days you mostly see sysadmins and other not-really-
> > experienced developers using Perl.  Or, professionals using it as an
> > awk/sed replacement, which is what it was designed for and which it's
> > quite good at.
>
> So that 60k - 100k developer position recently posting to Plug was
> looking for "sysadmins and other not-really-experienced developers using
> Perl"? Sign me up!

Some companies have to maintain perl codebases.  Poor bastards.

If it was for new development, well, gee, surely it couldn't be a case
of a hiring manager not knowing what he's doing!  That never happens!

> I submit that you don't know what you're talking about.

We've been down this road before, haven't we?  I think it ended up with
me showing that I'm a lot more experienced in perl than you are in about
anything, and you getting your feelings hurt.

-Jonathan