perl [was: in defense of Java, again]

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Thu Jan 26 07:56:33 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 05:16 -0800, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> That's why these days you mostly see sysadmins and other not-really-
> experienced developers using Perl.  Or, professionals using it as an
> awk/sed replacement, which is what it was designed for and which it's
> quite good at.

So that 60k - 100k developer position recently posting to Plug was
looking for "sysadmins and other not-really-experienced developers using
Perl"? Sign me up!

I submit that you don't know what you're talking about. I further submit
that if you're going to paint with that broad brush, I get to say that
Java is mostly used by pathologically under-productive  developers more
interested in job security than providing their employer with a good
return on investment. While PHP programmers are mostly 14 year olds
working out of their bedrooms or graphic designers lying to customers
about their ability to program their way out of a paper sack.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com
* ^From:.*sjansen@