in defense of Java, again [was: Re: Task Scheduling]

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Wed Jan 25 21:08:44 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 17:06 -0700, Mister E wrote:
> Just curious what you meant by "maintainability problems" in Perl.  I
> work quite a bit in Perl (one of several favorites). I also code and/or
> have coded in a host of other languages.  I haven't had any probs with
> this issue for what I use Perl for.  I am curious about your perspective
> on the issue.

If you have maintainable perl code you are working on that must mean the
original writer was an amazing and meticulous person.  Someone who
commented every few lines and functions and didn't do anything weird
with strange perl expressions.

Other that code written very clearly, perl is one of the easiest
languages to write unreadable code in that a future maintainer will have
no hope of understanding.  It's not the one always implies the other;
just that it's more probable.  One of my CS professors said it best.
Perl is a great language for doing lots of things quickly, and it's very
powerful.  However in the hands of most people perl is a "write-only"
language.

> I haven't tried Python yet, but I am curious enough to give it a whirl
> at some point.

Python is much easier to read and maintain from my limited experience.
Once you can handle the whitespace strictness.  Code is fairly clear and
expressive.  There are perl-type regular expression and list processing
routines, but a lot of the weird stuff is gone (admittedly at at the
expense of being a bit more verbose) like $_ and the like.

Michael