Apache - Windows vs Linux

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Wed Jan 25 16:08:26 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 15:59 -0700, Bryan Sant wrote:
> Wow.  That's strange.  On the one hand I don't understand why a ;
> would cause a problem for mod_proxy.  On the other hand, I don't know
> why JBoss continues to be idiotic beyond my expectations.

It's not jboss; it's tomcat.  See multiple posts regarding this problem
at http://www.google.com/search?q=tomcat+jsessionid+semicolon+mod_proxy

I haven't personally researched this, but someone I know did and he
found that the only real solution to this is to use mod_jk (the
recommended solution). Apparently this semicolon thing is the default
behavior too, which strikes me as very odd since it violates the RFCs.

It causes problems because mod_proxy thinks the ";JSESSIONID=blah" is
part of the URI, and so nothing gets matched.  mod_proxy properly only
matches against everything up to the "?"

Michael