Task Scheduling

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 15:46:09 MST 2006

On 1/25/06, Ryan Bowman <ryanlbowman at gmail.com> wrote:
> We are using ejbs, I meant to say that I don't know anything about
> them so I'm not qualified to say if we NEED them, but we are using
> them..

There are three types of EJBs and three marketed benefits:

1) Entity beans make accessing a database easy.
2) Session  beans make distributing an application across the network trivial.
3) Message driven beans make using message-oriented-middleware a snap.

The truth is that:

1) Entity beans suck hard.  Performance is really bad.  You should use
an ORM solution such as Hibernate or iBATIS.

2) Distributing applications across a network is a sure fire recipe
for a poor performing application.  Some services must be located on
another physical box.  In those cases, nothing beats EJBs.  The
remoting support is great.  However, most apps don't need to
communicate with a remote box (other than a database) -- or they will
communicate over the Internet and use SOAP or XML-RPC.

3) Message driven beans do rock.  Super simple and message-oriented
software is powerful and has a proven track record.  However, you can
use the underlying Java Messaging API without the need of an EJB
container.

Spring provides a refreshingly simple "light-weight" container that
can be used with a stand-alone java app or a hugh enterprise app.  It
scales up to big projects AND down to simple ones.  Often it is used
with a WAR deployed to tomcat to provide the component or
"services" benefit of an EJB container without the clunky-ness of EJBs.

If you guys aren't remoting (and I doubt you are) you should dump EJBs
and write standard classes and components is plain-old Java.

Ryan, I'm sure that politically you don't have the power to alter your
applications chosen architecture.  I'm just sharing some advice for
what a superior infrastructure/architecture would look like.  By and
large in the industry, no one uses EJBs when they can avoid it.

EJB 3.0 is a whole other story though.  It's actually really great --
they've incorporated the concepts of Spring :-).

-Bryan