Apache - Windows vs Linux

Sasha Pachev sasha at asksasha.com
Wed Jan 25 12:23:45 MST 2006

Ryan:

Of all the services I've run on Linux, Apache has been one of the most stable
components. I have never had a problem with it that did not come from a user
error, namely me or somebody else putting something funny in httpd.conf or using
the defaults inappropriately. It is the piece that I always suspect last when
troubleshooting.

Now some conceptual philosophy. Apache was originally written on Unix. Apache
port to Windows is an afterthought. Add to that that Linux user base for Apache
is much larger than Windows. Thus it is reasonable to expect that Unix Apache
will always stay ahead of Windows Apache, or at least will so until something
drastic happens, such as Microsoft going open-source.

To use a culinary analogy Apache tastes much better with Linux than it does with
Windows.

--
Sasha Pachev
AskSasha Linux Consulting