Apache - Windows vs Linux

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 12:23:46 MST 2006

On 1/25/06, Ryan Bowman <ryanlbowman at gmail.com> wrote:
> We run Apahce at work - currently on Windows, but we're wondering if
> we should switch to Linux.
>
> We're running apache 2.0.54 on Windows Server 2003 sp1, 3Ghz Xeon with 2 GB
> ram, it was last restarted on Dec 15.  We use it to serve images, and pass
> request for jsps on to jboss (on another machine running Suse 9.3).

Ryan, how are you connecting to JBoss?  Are you using mod_proxy or
mod_jk/mod_jk2?  The difference being that mod_proxy uses straight
HTTP proxying but mod_jk and mod_jk2 use the AJP protocol.

If you're not using mod_proxy, I would recommend doing so.

If you are using mod_proxy, please post the reverse proxy portion of
your httpd.conf file.  If you're not using mod_proxy and need help
with the config, I would be happy to post an example of how to
configure it with JBoss.

This *could* be a Windows problem, but this seems like an apache
config issue to me.  In any case, I would still recommend migrating
apache to Linux :-).

-Bryan