Apache - Windows vs Linux

Gregory Hill Gregory_Hill at tni.com
Wed Jan 25 11:24:32 MST 2006

> On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 11:12 -0700, Gregory Hill wrote:
> > All kidding aside, IIS serves images much faster than Apache does,
if
> > the tests we did when I was working at Navitaire are indicative.
>
> Apache has never claimed to be the fastest server on the block.
Because
> of its design, I wouldn't be surprised to hear IIS is consistently
> faster. Apache, on the other hand, is consistently more secure and
more
> robust. I'll gladly trade a few cycles for superior uptime.

I agree on the security aspect, which is why I use apache.  The airline
that was using the software, however, was more worried about performance
since their servers were simply running out of memory under load.

> > Now, where's my flame-retarded suit...
>
> Saying that lighttpd is faster should not be a reason to worry about
> (reasonable) flames. Because of its design, lighttpd is much lighter
> weight and therefore faster. In balance, lighttpd is much less
> extensible.

Yeah, I know, I made the flame comment in regards to saying that IIS is
actually decent at something, which is generally considered heresy among
Linux folks that I've known in the past.

Greg