Apache - Windows vs Linux

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Wed Jan 25 11:24:05 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 11:12 -0700, Gregory Hill wrote:
> All kidding aside, IIS serves images much faster than Apache does, if
> the tests we did when I was working at Navitaire are indicative.

Apache has never claimed to be the fastest server on the block. Because
of its design, I wouldn't be surprised to hear IIS is consistently
faster. Apache, on the other hand, is consistently more secure and more
robust. I'll gladly trade a few cycles for superior uptime.

> Now, where's my flame-retarded suit...

Saying that lighttpd is faster should not be a reason to worry about
(reasonable) flames. Because of its design, lighttpd is much lighter
weight and therefore faster. In balance, lighttpd is much less
extensible.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com
* ^From:.*sjansen@