Web Hosting behind and Actiontec

Brian Hawkins brianhks at activeclickweb.com
Wed Jan 25 11:17:34 MST 2006

The problem with the DMZ is that now all of your incoming traffic is
forwarded to the web server.  Then you have to make sure your web server
is locked down tight.

The nice thing about just forwarding a port is that later you can
forward a different port to possibly a different machine hosting a
different service such as FTP or SSH.

If your actiontec is anything like mine you may find that it severely
lacks features.  Unfortunately I'm stuck with it so to get around its
lack of features I bought a DLink router and setup the DMZ on the
actiontec to point to the dlink.  Then all of my computers are behind
the dlink.  This allows me to open an incoming VPN which was something
the actiontec could not do.

for what its worth

Brian