Apache - Windows vs Linux

Gregory Hill Gregory_Hill at tni.com
Wed Jan 25 11:12:29 MST 2006

> Nah, Windows is a much better server platform than Linux. Linux is
> basically just a toy hobbyist OS. What you need to do is stop using
that
> "free software" crap--you get what you pay for, you know. IIS is much
more
> secure and way more stable.

All kidding aside, IIS serves images much faster than Apache does, if
the tests we did when I was working at Navitaire are indicative.  It may
have been because Apache had mod_perl loaded, but we had to use
mod_proxy to redirect image requests to lighttpd instead of Apache
because Apache would spiral out of control in memory usage when serving
lots of images.  I don't know the qualifications of the IT people
involved or what configurations they used, as I was only responsible for
the Perl code.  I found it a bit surprising, though, that serving images
from lighttpd (on the same machine, no less, just a different port)
dropped memory usage to about 1/3 of what was previously seen.  Not that
I like IIS; I've always used apache myself.

Now, where's my flame-retarded suit...

Greg