Peer-to-peer streaming

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Wed Jan 25 07:51:35 MST 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 03:34:42PM -0500, Jason Hooks wrote:
> I have been working on adding a mode to my program called
> multicast+.  Multicast will be used to deliver the stream and P2P
> will deliver the stream to people behind non-multicast routers.

This is a good idea, if I am interpreting what you say correctly.
Whenever there is a migration to a new routing technology, one should
find ways to put pressure on ISP's to adopt the technology while still
providing service to those on ISP's w/out the technology. If you shut
out the majority of the ISP's with your (better) technology, you
lose. The ISP's will not all simultaneously change, so you need a way
to allow gradual migration while still maintaining compatibility. You
want ISP customers to say, ``Gee, this application says that I could
really get better quality in my video/audio stream if my ISP supports
multicast routing.'' Then let the free market forces do their thing.

Mike
                         Michael A. Halcrow

Hands-free mobile phones: blurring the distinction between
schizophrenia and technology.