BYU UUG MythTV Pre-Announcement

Nicholas Leippe nick at
Mon Jan 23 10:29:15 MST 2006

> Does anyone know of some solution out there for this?  (I understand the
> 'political' aspects to the problem with the MPAA and HDCP--I'm just hoping
> there's at least one 'renegade' manufacturer out there that is bold enough
> to sell a product that solves this.)

Funny. Just after I sent this, I happened to find one solution.  A bit pricey,
but does exactly what I've been looking for. has two main products:

1 - they upgrade receivers to include a firewire output port that is active
for HD content channels (and sell DIY kits)
2 - they have software (and prebuilt units) that will process HDCP streams and
make them accessible

This sounds like it could be a fun path to play with.  They post the hardware
requirements to build your own version of their  "AVX1" processor (that
removes the HDCP).  It lists at minimum a 366MHz cpu and 32MB RAM, with 2
firewire ports.  Since their software is standalone (it's own OS), I wonder
if it could be made to run under vmware, reducing the requirement back to a
single machine....

Nicholas Leippe
Sales Team Automation, LLC
1335 West 1650 North, Suite C