Comcast Costs?

Lars Rasmussen lars.rasmussen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 18:59:54 MST 2006

On 1/21/06, Kirk Lapray <kirk.lapray at gmail.com> wrote:
> Last night I downloaded the Linux kernel at an average rate
> of 1MB/s.  It only to about 40 seconds to download the entire file!

1MB/s - Nice.

> I am currently paying $44.95 a month for the first 4 months, after
> this it will be $62.95.  As for any taxes, it doesn't look like I am paying
> any.  They might only have to charge taxes if you get their cable TV
> services.  I was paying $46.95 (+taxes, fees, etc. which I never took the
> time to figure out) for my 1.5Mbs/768Kbs DSL connection and ISP.

$62.95 is $5.37 more than what I pay now for slower DSL throughput:

$36.37 Qwest Standalone 1.5Mbps/384Kbps DSL ($33 + $3.37 taxes)
$21.21 ISP Charges (Veracity/Off Campus Telecommunications)
-------
$57.58 current monthly charges (from December 2005 - my wife said
Qwest bill is normally $41)

I called the Orem Best Buy @ 801-225-4922 (Menu Option 3, then 1 for
Computer Dept)
and talked with 2 sales folks.

The Best Buy in-store offer sounds pretty good:
$79.99 Motorola Comcast "modem" (bridge I think)
$15 fee for "self install kit"

Mail-In Rebates & Promotions:
$79.99 mail-in rebate on Motorola "modem"
$50 mail-in offer for Best Buy Gift Card
$15 mail-in rebate for "self install kit"

So the Best Buy in-store offer would be $95 + tax out of pocket.

Then I'd pay $52.95 /month for a 4Mbps/384Kbps connection, with a
discounted rate of $29.99/month for the first 6 Months.

$52.95 is $4.63 less than the $57.58 DSL monthly I pay now.  I'd also
get the extra 2.5Mbps downstream, which would be nice for downloading
the TV shows I care about.  I could opt to pay the extra $10 and have
the 8Mbps/768Kbps speed that Kirk enjoys, but that would exceed my
current monthly charges.

Choosing analog cable tv would add $28.99 in "installation" fees.
Quotation marks added because I'm not sure what install work would be
required (on the phone Comcast said they'd need to have a tech come
out to "turn on" the cable tv connection) even though the previous
owners of our home installed Comcast Cable tv(digital, I think).
Analog cable tv changes the monthly price to ~$57.15, a la Barry's
Internet + analog cable tv, minus the extra IP.  So I'd pay 4 bucks
more than Comcast standalone internet and get analog cable tv, but
still pay less than I pay now for DSL.  I'd also save $60 with a
discounted rate of $19.99/month over the first 6 months instead of
$29.99/month.  Comcast also ups the downstream from 4Mbps to 6Mbps for
customers who pay for a cable subscription.

I think I'm going to go with the Best Buy Comcast offer, skipping the
analog cable tv.  The extra install cost annoys me.  I might change my
mind after I think about it for a few days, but I'm definitely leaving
Qwest behind.

I'll continue to use Vonage for my VoIP service, and upgrade to the
latest beta of BSD-based pfsense firewall (pfsense.com) - I've been
running an alpha successfully for several months.  Last time I
rebooted the pfsense firewall it had ~90 days of uptime, and pfsense
allows for QoS traffic shaping to keep my VoIP packets happy.

Thanks Walter, Kirk, Barry, Wade, Ross, "Gill", and for the Best Buy
info, Jesse!
--
Lars