BYU UUG MythTV Pre-Announcement

Kirk Lapray kirk.lapray at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 12:58:24 MST 2006

I have been running a HDTV MythTV box for about a year now and it has been
great.  During this time I have not had any problems with it.  I tried
before then to get it working, but HDTV support was really new and still had
a few problems.  It started with an PVR150 and HD3000 card and it now has an
HDTV Wonder card in it.  I originally ran the PVR150 and HDTV Wonder in this
box using Windows Media Center, but was never very happy with it.  Once HDTV
support in MythTV had matured enough I switched.  Everything now works
wonderfully with it.  I am able to record 2 HD shows and 1 SD show and even
watch a recorded show all at the same time.  There are now many HDTV cards
that are supported in Linux.  It just depends on the features you want.  I
have seen an HDTV card for as low as $80 (AVerMedia AVerTVHD MCE A180 TV
Tuner), but it only has digital support, you can not use it to get analog
channels.  Which, at least for me, would be perfectly fine, since everything
I watch is on a digital channel anyway.

I no longer attend BYU, but will try to come to this meeting and help out
anyway I can.  I did a lot of work in getting the DVB drivers developed for
both the HD3000 and the HDTV Wonder.  It can take quite some time to get a
working system up and running, but once it is, there are rarely any problems
with it.

Kirk