Comcast Costs?

Kirk Lapray kirk.lapray at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 12:36:51 MST 2006

I also live in Springville and just recently switched from DSL to Comcast.
So far I have been very happy with it.  I spent the extra $10 to upgrade to
the 8Mbs/768Kbs plan, I like having the faster upload capability, otherwise
it is 384Kbs.  Last night I downloaded the Linux kernel at an average rate
of 1MB/s.  It only to about 40 seconds to download the entire file!

I signed up from comcastoffers.com and will get a few modem after rebate,
plus $100 cash back rebate offer.  I have not yet received them back, but I
have received confirmation emails that they have been accepted and should
get the checks in about 4 weeks.  If you call the number they give you to
sign up you can get 6 months at 19.99 a month, but you can not upgrade to
the faster speed if you do that.  I simply received the modem and called
Comcast directly.  Since I didn't have cable server I had to pay a service
fee to get connected and that was a lot cheaper going through Comcast then
the service comcastoffers.com uses.  Since I don't subscribe to any cable
channels I have to pay an extra $10 a month.

When I signed up through Comcast they gave me a promotional rate because I
was switching from DSL.  Just remember it never hurts to ask for any
promotions.  They want you as a customer and will do what they can to get
you.  I am currently paying $44.95 a month for the first 4 months, after
this it will be $62.95.  As for any taxes, it doesn't look like I am paying
any.  They might only have to charge taxes if you get their cable TV
services.  I was paying $46.95 (+taxes, fees, etc. which I never took the
time to figure out) for my 1.5Mbs/768Kbs DSL connection and ISP.  The
fastest DSL connection I could get where I live was 3.0Mbs/512Kbs and that
was $10 a month more.  I tried it for a while, but it was a lot more money
for what I was getting and I really noticed the upload speed difference.  So
for not much more I upgraded to cable Internet and have been very
impressed.  I have heard many stories about the quality of cable Internet,
the service, and how you share bandwidth.  From what I have found the Salt
Lake/Provo areas have some of the best Comcast service, and I have never
seen any slow downs in my service.  I have run bandwidth tests several times
a day and it is always consistent.

I hope this helps you.  If you have any other questions please let me know.

Kirk