Load Balancing with Postfix [and SpamAssassin]

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Fri Jan 20 11:54:34 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 11:34 -0700, Ross Werner wrote:
> Some people like and depend on the fact that 99% of their email is
> received and delivered within a few seconds, and a delay of an hour for a
> significant portion of those emails would throw off their groove.
> Greylisting would be a bad choice for these people.

That's the crucial factor. Some people, like Stuart, don't mind those
delays. Others do. To each his own. But for somebody like me running an
ISP, I can't even guess what all my customers are going to want.
Actually, I can. They're going to choose every mutually exclusive option
possible and I have to provide it. I might consider a greylisting system
that was user selectable, though.

As for instant and reliable communication, let's not get carried away.
Phones, IM, email all work pretty well but none of them is perfect.
Heck, even talking directly to my face won't work if I'm asleep. :) So
unless I've made a previous arrangement with someone and they've
guaranteed they'll receive my communication, I don't assume anything
else.

Corey