file permissions

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Fri Jan 20 11:01:28 MST 2006

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> Symbolic notation should generally be used with chmod because it is both
> more flexible and easier to read.

Maybe I'm just weird because I always forget crap about the symbolic
notation (wait, does "a" mean "all" as in everyone, or "all" as in
everyone besides user and group?) and find the numeric representation much
more easier to read quickly. "750" is immediately obvious to me what it's
doing, whereas representing the same thing in symbolic notation takes me a
bit of effort to decipher what's going on.

> (Some versions of the chmod man page even list the numerical
> representation as deprecated, although if you actually believe they'll
> ever be removed I've got some ocean front property in Arizona to sell
> you.)

Ditto on that one :)

 	~ Ross