Load Balancing with Postfix [and SpamAssassin]

Josh Coates jcoates at archive.org
Fri Jan 20 09:43:05 MST 2006

>The opening sentence of RFC 821 states " The objective of Simple Mail
>Transfer Protocol (SMTP) is to transfer mail reliably and efficiently."

yay stuart!  thanks - you are less lazy than me. ;-)

>At any rate, it doesn't matter what the original designers intended.
>The fact is that e-mail isn't as immediate as other forms of communication.
>If you call or IM me, you'll find out pretty quick whether I got the
message.

just want to point out that you are talking about asynchronicity - which is
different than reliability or immediacy.

eg.

a user may not be sure when a receiver will actually read their message, but
they may expect it to be in the inbox sitting there waiting for them.
that's expecting reliability, immediacy, and asynchronicity.

when a user call someone on their cell phone, they expect reliability,
immediacy and synchronicity, unless they leave a voicemail, which shifts
their expectation to asynchronicity.

hm.

okay.  let's admit it - plug is mostly good for self indulgent bsing when we
should be working but it's kind of fun.  and look, i deleted all that cruft
at the end just for stuart.  my karma is going through the roof.

-josh