Load Balancing with Postfix [and SpamAssassin]

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Wed Jan 18 21:21:08 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 15:25 -0700, Tyler Strickland wrote:

> Have you considered switching antispam software?  When I was looking into
> antispam software last year, I seem to remember seeing that other
> packages, like DSPAM, used far fewer resources than SpamAssassin.

Also, consider gray-listing  (sqlgrey comes to mind).  This should
reduce the amount of spam actually getting delivered (spam just won't
get through most of the time!) and having to go through spamassassin.
I'm about to implement this at work and try it for a while.

> On my server, I use DSPAM with a merged group trained on the SpamAssassin
> corpus, given that DSPAM doesn't start aggressively tagging spam until a
> user's received a few thousand messages.  DSPAM is followed by
> SpamAssassin (bayesian filtering turned off) scanning any messages DSPAM
> doesn't flag as spam.  This gives me the benefits of DSPAM's low resource
> usage and accuracy combined with SA as a backup.  Messages that SA marks
> as SPAM get sent to DSPAM for retraining so it can catch them the next
> time.

Definitely a layered system is the way to go.

> If anyone wants to see the scripts that do it all, just yell...

I may be interested in seeing them.

Michael