Load Balancing with Postfix [and SpamAssassin]

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Wed Jan 18 16:11:10 MST 2006

Alan Fullmer wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am wondering if anyone can direct me to any books/sites/etc regarding
> possibly running postfix on one or more servers accepting mail, processing
> with SA, then forwarding onto a 3rd machine.

If you main load is caused by spam assassin you can farm out that
processing to several servers fairly easily.

1. Don't use the spamassassin executable, use spamc.  This is a client
that will connect to spamd the server that actually does the filtering.

2. specify a new DNS name for the DNS round-robin.  eg. spamd.domain.dom
and have it point to all the IP addresses of the servers that run spamd.

3. Install and run spamd on several servers.

See the spamc and spamd man pages for specifics.

Notes: It is handy to keep the SA configs on a network mount and use an
SQL db for the bayes stuff.  This will make modifications much easier in
the future.