Load Balancing with Postfix [and SpamAssassin]

Tyler Strickland tyler at tylers.org
Wed Jan 18 15:25:58 MST 2006

On Wed, January 18, 2006 2:34 pm, Alan Fullmer wrote:
> Greetings,
> The setup works, however I get so backlogged.  For example, running a
> mailq
> as we speak, comes up with:
> 35918 Kbytes in 5257 Requests.

Have you considered switching antispam software?  When I was looking into
antispam software last year, I seem to remember seeing that other
packages, like DSPAM, used far fewer resources than SpamAssassin.

On my server, I use DSPAM with a merged group trained on the SpamAssassin
corpus, given that DSPAM doesn't start aggressively tagging spam until a
user's received a few thousand messages.  DSPAM is followed by
SpamAssassin (bayesian filtering turned off) scanning any messages DSPAM
doesn't flag as spam.  This gives me the benefits of DSPAM's low resource
usage and accuracy combined with SA as a backup.  Messages that SA marks
as SPAM get sent to DSPAM for retraining so it can catch them the next
time.

If anyone wants to see the scripts that do it all, just yell...

Not that any of this answers your original question, but who knows - maybe
I'm answering another question you're asking yourself...?  :)

--Tyler