Jabber and Google News

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Wed Jan 18 14:45:27 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 14:33 -0700, Jordan Gunderson wrote:
> Corey Edwards wrote:
> [snip]
> > The real solution here would be for AOL to build an AIM-Jabber bridge,
> > so you would just send a message to mybuddy at aol.com and the bridge
> > translates that to AIM. Having AOL host the bridge would solve so many
> > problems, foremost being that not every single Jabber server has to run
> > the AIM transport.
>
> I may be wrong here, but wouldn't the real solution involve AOL, MS, and
> Yahoo all using an open protocol (in this case Jabber)?  An open
> protocol would let users of said IM systems communicate with each other
> (and users of other jabber systems) without having to have an account in
> each.

I think you missed what I mean. AOL doesn't run a Jabber server where
everybody has to register and set up an AIM transport. The Jabber server
would dynamically bridge between all the AIM accounts and Jabber
accounts. So user1 at gmail.com sends a message to aolbuddy at aol.com. That
gets routed to AOL's AIM-Jabber bridge where it sends the message via
AIM to aolbuddy.

Of course, having AIM support XMPP natively would be bonus too, but this
bridge would be a lot simpler considering the large installed base of
AIM clients.

Corey