Jabber and Google News

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Wed Jan 18 11:57:51 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 11:51 -0700, Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
> On 1/18/06, Michael L Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> wrote:
> > The significant thing (and maybe I'm wrong) is that Google's jabber
> > servers can also act as a gateway to the AIM, MSN, and Yahoo servers (if
> > you have accounts there), allowing google talk to be your unified
> > messaging service.  Of course any jabber serve that's so set up can do
> > that.
>
> It doesn't look like there are any transports enabled on the server
> yet, but it's very likely that they'll go that direction some day
> soon.  The most reliable of the jabber transports were the ones based
> on the Gaim backends.  Google recently hired Sean Egan (the lead
> developer of Gaim) so it's easy to suppose they might eventually do
> that.

The real solution here would be for AOL to build an AIM-Jabber bridge,
so you would just send a message to mybuddy at aol.com and the bridge
translates that to AIM. Having AOL host the bridge would solve so many
problems, foremost being that not every single Jabber server has to run
the AIM transport.

I think if anybody has enough clout to push AOL into this, Google might
be it especially considering that they recently invested a good chunk of
money in AOL. Hmm. Now I'm wondering if the two are related.

Corey