Jabber and Google News

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Wed Jan 18 10:20:08 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 09:42 -0700, Ross Werner wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Chris Carey wrote:
> >> Long live the XMPP protocol!
> >
> > WOW, Ive been waiting for this for a looong time.
>
> I'm confused ... what's the big deal? Google has already been using the
> XMPP protocol for a while now, right? And the big players like AIM and MSN
> and Yahoo *aren't* using the XMPP protocol, correct?
>
> So basically all this is is an official letter from Google saying, "Hey
> AIM and MSN and Yahoo, we're inviting you to come use the XMPP protocol
> with us! Won't it be fun?"
>
> Or am I missing something significant?

The significant thing (and maybe I'm wrong) is that Google's jabber
servers can also act as a gateway to the AIM, MSN, and Yahoo servers (if
you have accounts there), allowing google talk to be your unified
messaging service.  Of course any jabber serve that's so set up can do
that.

But yes, the important thing is that google talk is now a standard
jabber server, so it can talk to jabber users on any server (such as the
plug server)

Michael