Jabber and Google News

Chris Carey chris.carey at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 09:56:26 MST 2006

On 1/18/06, Ross Werner <ross at agilestudios.com> wrote:

> I'm confused ... what's the big deal? Google has already been using the
> XMPP protocol for a while now, right? And the big players like AIM and MSN
> and Yahoo *aren't* using the XMPP protocol, correct?
>
> So basically all this is is an official letter from Google saying, "Hey
> AIM and MSN and Yahoo, we're inviting you to come use the XMPP protocol
> with us! Won't it be fun?"
>
> Or am I missing something significant?
>
>         ~ Ross

I've been running jabber servers for about 6 years and tried (in vain)
to get friends and family using Jabber as well. Everntually everyone
switched back to Yahoo, AIM or MSN due to the lack of interoperability
with major chat networks (The Jabber "Transports" to these networks
can be flaky and lack features).

Now any Jabber server can connect to at least one major chat network
(Google Talk) natively. We can only hope that Google uses it's
influence to get AIM on there next. This is a big win for open
standards over proprietary IM.