Ndiswrapper distro?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Jan 17 11:02:09 MST 2006

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 06:44:25PM -0800, Michael Huston wrote:
> Is there a distro that has NDISwrapper as part of the default install?
> I have a netgear wg311v2 and have managed to get it working with Ubuntu
> live CD version 5.04, but not 5.10. I haven't gotten it to work with
> the Ubuntu install CD. I had just installed Fedora core 3, as I would

You will probably find FC4 worth the upgrade effort, especially as FC3
has just been handed over to the Fedora Legacy project.

> guess that NDISwrapper would be included on their distro, but it is
> not, and I have to download everything in windows before I can install
> it, as I have no network.

That's a severe handicap, as modern package managers like yum, cpan
and apt will pull in dependencies for you. Can you set up another
machine to get the packages for you, then sneaker-net them over? Once
you do that, you can install by naming multiple packages on the
command line, e.g.:

rpm -ivh foo bar baz

and rpm will then work out the dependencies.

> The question is if there is a distro that loads NDISwrapper with the
> default installation, and how hard would it be to get NDISwrapper to
> work with Fedora? Would I just download the package and compile it? Are
> there any dependancies? I currently have a copy of the tarball on my
> USB drive which Fedora does recognize.

livna.org has an ndiswrapper RPM for FC4. However, many NDIS drivers
require 16K stacks, and I don't know if there are 16K stack kernels
available from any of the standard repositories. However,
http://www.linuxant.com/ (who offer a proprietary alternative to
ndiswrapper) have 16K stack kernels on their web site for a number of
distributions.

> How do I get DVDs to play in Fedora. I know that they worked fine with
> Debian, back in the day.

The usual suspects are available, probably on livna.org.