Testing Linux skills

Nicholas Leippe nick at byu.edu
Mon Jan 16 13:34:18 MST 2006

On Monday 16 January 2006 09:33 am, bibhor dhungel wrote:
> Hi all,
> After being familiar with Linux for more than a year I want to test how
> much I have learned and what more I need to know. Is there a book, test or
> link to help me identify these needs?
> Thank you
> Bibhor

The other replies are all good suggestions.  I've been using Linux for 9 years
now, and I still don't know everything I feel I should.  I wouldn't worry
about trying to learn it all up front.  In my experience, I learn and retain
far better when I learn something because I need it 'now', as opposed to
learning it because I think I might need it later.

I suggest that you pick a project and learn what you need to do it.  Rinse and
repeat.  Some suggestions:
- set up an email server
- set up a web server or a LAMP server
- configure a DNS server
- install an NTP server
- set up a CVS pserver
- set up mythtv

The suggestion to install gentoo is a very good one--it will get you a very
good, broad overview of many of the things that go into a system.  If you
want to go even further, install an LFS (linuxfromscratch.org) box.  I've
done LFS a few times, and from that was able to finally understand how many
of the systems are expected to be configured at the bottom, as opposed to all
the configuration wrappers that some distros add on top to 'simplify' things.

--
Respectfully,

Nicholas Leippe
Sales Team Automation, LLC