Mysql 2 way replication?

Nicholas Leippe nick at byu.edu
Fri Jan 13 16:31:54 MST 2006

On Friday 13 January 2006 03:00 pm, Kimball Larsen wrote:
> This has come up in the past, but I've recently taken a fresh
> interest.  The last time I looked into 2 way replication with Mysql,
> I was told that it basically was a really bad idea.  Now, it appears
> that it may not only be a not-so-bad idea, but the fine folks at
> Mysql mention some caveats to watch for when setting it up:
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/replication-faq.html
>
> However, they don't mention HOW to set it up.  Do you just set up
> each note to be both a master and slave and point them the way you need?

Yes.  Just make sure each node has a unique server id.  You can, in fact, set
up a ring of servers.  The only caveats are properly writing your application
since unique ids (auto_increment) becomes unreliable.  (As do anything
depending on random numbers, although this may have been fixed).

--
Respectfully,

Nicholas Leippe
Sales Team Automation, LLC