*** January PLUG meeting - ECLIPSE ***

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Fri Jan 13 09:56:49 MST 2006

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Bryan Sant wrote:
> Right.  I'm not sure how much of that tutorial would be applicable to
> what you want to do, but at least some of it will be helpful.  You do
> ultimately have to deal with the plugin API at some level.

Well, thanks to your links and some helpful people on #eclipse, I've
managed to figure out an approach that looks like it will work quite
nicely. In "normal" Eclipse, there's a Binding Manager that catches all
events that match the list in Windows->Preferences->General->Keys and
executes the appropriate commands.

My plugin disables the default Binding Manager and sticks my own Listener
class in there, which catches all key events sent to Eclipse. If we're in
"command mode", it swallows the events and executes a movement command
instead; if we're in "insert mode", it simply passes the event along
untouched unless it's an <ESC>, in which case it swallows it and changes
to command mode.

So far I've got "iIaAbwhjkl$0" implemented and working nicely. A pretty
pitiful subset of vi's functionality, but not too shabby for an evening's
work :)

 	~ Ross