[OT] Typos

Alex Esplin alex.esplin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 22:23:53 MST 2006

On 1/12/06, Sasha Pachev <sasha at asksasha.com> wrote:
>You do forget sometimes, though, in a multi-lingual environment, and
with a lot of people >of >a wide mix around you which language(s) the
person you are speaking to knows.

My mission president used to tell us of a class he took from Hugh
Nibley.  Hugh would say something from the bible, then tell them the
'real' translation from the greek, and then five sentences later
someone would mention to him that he was still speaking in Greek.
Then, a few minutes later, he would do the same thing with Latin.
When I was learning to speak Tagalog on my mission (I served in
Toronto Canada, and learned it for fun/utility), the Phillipino
members would always have us over on Christmas, and I would drift off
into my limited Tagalog while I was on the phone with my Mom.  It's
funny how the human brain is so contextual about stuff like that.

--
Alex Esplin