[OT] Typos

Sasha Pachev sasha at asksasha.com
Thu Jan 12 20:44:43 MST 2006

 >in a similar vein, i've found that learning a 3rd foreign language does
 >strange things to your brain.

 >for example, if know spanish, and you are learning cambodian, and you try to
 >recall the word for food then your brain says "um, well it's not FOOD
 >because that's english...lemme see, what's the foreign way to say food?
 >COMIDA, that's right."

That happens only for as long as the second language remains foreign to you.
Once you get comfortable, it does not happen. I remember reaching out for German
words when trying to learn English. I have never known very much of German, but
enough to hit the above effect. When I started learning Spanish, I was
comfortable enough with English to be thinking in it. English stayed where it
was supposed to, and so did Russian. You do forget sometimes, though, in a
multi-lingual environment, and with a lot of people of a wide mix around you
which language(s) the person you are speaking to knows.

--
Sasha Pachev
AskSasha Linux Consulting