[OT] Typos

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Thu Jan 12 19:22:09 MST 2006

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 at 14:00 -0700, Dennis wrote:
> Sasha Pachev wrote:
> >>tome instead of tomb---
> >>I'd claim a stupid fat-fingered key-- but `e' and `b' are half way
> >across the >keyboard.
> >
> >Typos are an interesting subject. I found myself occasionally making
> >very interesting typos - typing part of the word phonetically as if it
> >had been said with a Russian accent. For example, replacing a "b" with
> >a "p" in the middle of a word, or spelling "cat" as "cet".
> >
> Just a side note on the typo subject.  I installed Thunderbird 1.5 and
> noticed that one of the new features is a spell check while you type.
> Pretty nice.

I noticed that in the release notes, and turned it off before it had a
chance to annoy me. I hate spell-check-while-you-type. But I'm a good
speller and fairly accurate typist (comes from all those years
practicing keyboard instruments), so usually they tell me what I already
know or bug me about things that I have no intention of changing.

The moral of my story is this: always allow the user to turn off "nifty
features" that have any possibility of irritation. Thunderbird did it
right: it was easy to find and disable. OOo does it half-right, it's not
so easy to find but the little light-bulb friend tells you where to go.
It's been awhile since I used Word enough to need to find the option,
but at that time it was very difficult indeed to find. I would hope it's
better now.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach