*** January PLUG meeting - ECLIPSE ***

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Jan 12 10:38:39 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 08:47 -0700, Corey Edwards wrote:
> There's a VIM kpart, but in my experience it's buggy. I haven't tried it
> in a while, though.

The biggest problem with a kpart (or anything similar to that) is that
all it lets you do is embed vim (or emacs).  In doing so, you completely
lose IDE integration. For example, the code completion stuff just isn't
possible.

This could be solved by making an object specification for an editor
that included hooks for such things, but it is complicated.

This is probably the reason we'll never see a mere plug-in for eclipse
that adds a true vim mode. With eclipse, if you want to emulate vim,
you'll need to build a completely new editor module that inherits all
the code completion apis and also implements the full vim command set,
rather than a keystroke layer on top of the original eclipse editor.

> Assuming it did work, then it should work with any KDE application such
> as KDevelop.

Subject to the limitations I mentioned above that would make it useless.

Michael