*** January PLUG meeting - ECLIPSE ***

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Wed Jan 11 20:22:46 MST 2006

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:42:35PM -0800, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:32:53 -0700, "Michael L Torrie"
>> Probably because emacs and CUA are both modeless, so it's relatively
>> easy to do emacs bindings.
>
> Hmmm. There are several vi emulation modes available for emacs. So it
> ought to be possible to write one for eclipse. I haven't tried any of
> them, so I don't know how well they emulate vi.

Eclipse doesn't actually have an "emacs" mode, it's just a set of
keybindings that changes things like "save" or "search in place", but it
doesn't implement any of the fancier (or even not-so-fancy) features of
emacs.

I personally am a die-hard vi user and wouldn't touch emacs with a
ten-foot pole, but I have heard from emacs addicts that the Eclipse emacs
mode is pretty lame and they end up turning it off after a while anyway.

(At any rate, the practical upshot of this is that we can't emulate vi
mode in Eclipse's emacs. Sadly enough.)

But again, I'm highly interested in writing a vi plugin for Eclipse if
someone can get me past the hurdle that is the Eclipse plugin API. Any
takers?

 	~ Ross