*** January PLUG meeting - ECLIPSE ***

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Jan 11 20:00:57 MST 2006

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:42:35PM -0800, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:32:53 -0700, "Michael L Torrie"
> <torriem at chem.byu.edu> said:
> > On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 11:08 -0500, Grant Shipley wrote:
> > > It will be interesting to hear comments after the meeting from the die
> > > hard VIM and EMACS users.
> >
> > I think Eclipse is very slick, but the one thing that I really really
> > miss is good vi bindings.  vim bindings would be even better.  There is
> > a plugin that exists to provide some vi functionality in the editor, but
> > it's kind of clunky and costs way more than it is worth.  Oddly enough
> > there are emacs bindings available for the eclipse editor for free.
>
> Probably because emacs and CUA are both modeless, so it's relatively
> easy to do emacs bindings.

Hmmm. There are several vi emulation modes available for emacs. So it
ought to be possible to write one for eclipse. I haven't tried any of
them, so I don't know how well they emulate vi.

Terminology note: when vi refers to mode, it refers to states, such as
insert mode vs. navigation mode (much more rigorously enforced in vi
than vim in). In emacs, modes are special key bindings and functions
to facilitate certain uses, such as C++ mode, or SQL mode. Right now
I'm using mail mode, with a minor mode, auto-fill mode, to handle text
wrapping.