experience exchange

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Tue Jan 10 20:32:47 MST 2006

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:49:11AM +0800, Laurent R wrote:
> Hi, all
>  It seems all of us use UNIX to develop software. Do you have convenient
> tool to edit and merge source code ?

Emacs has great diff/merge tools.  And its integration with CVS (and
other revision control systems) is excellent.

> Such as source insight and beyond
> compare work on Windows OS.
>  I suffered from the VI and diff tools. :(

Yeah, well, VI pretty much sucks.  Sorry, but it had to be said.  VIM
is pretty good, though.

If you really like purty, pointy clickety thingamabobs, I hear Eclipse
has good CVS tools, and I've used meld, and it is pretty slick for
diffing and merging.  Emacs and pcl-cvs is better for day-to-day
coding and committing if you use CVS.

FWIW,
Barry Roberts