*** January PLUG meeting - ECLIPSE ***
bryan.sant at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 17:50:23 MST 2006
On 1/10/06, Ryan Bowman <ryanlbowman at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to decide if I should come to this meeting:
> I like to think I qualify as an Emacs bigot, which I use in
> conjunction with eclipse at work. I also like to think that I'm smart
> enough to figure most of eclipse's usefull features out, but I haven't
> taken a lot of time to do so, because I can already do most anything
> with emacs.
> Speaking generally, what will you be discussing that will be worth my
> time and effort (and compete with Emacs - I promise I won't heckle or
> throw stones) to go this meeting, (not wanting to sound pretentious
> or anything, just a serious question about how I'm going to spend my
> evening tomorrow).
You'll get some pizza :-).
Seriously though, I'll be covering a range of stuff:
* Installation and configuration
* Basic coding in eclipse
* Code refactoring
* Runtime profiles
* Debugging (local and remote), Inspecting, hot deploying of new code
* Source control - CVS, local history, diff
* Source code navigation
* Automagic source code formatting
* Useful keyboard shortcuts
* Custom easy-to-create templates
* Simple example of developing an SWT app
* Installing plugins
* Installing support or special versions of eclipse for - ruby, perl,
python, C#, C/C++. and others?
* Anything else people are curious about
We'll write a few simple apps to demonstrate the features of eclipse
as we go. I hope this sheds some light on what we'll be doing. Only
you can decide if this presentation will be a worthly of your evening.
More information about the PLUG