Peer-to-peer streaming

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Tue Jan 10 09:21:52 MST 2006

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 08:48:29AM -0700, Josh Coates wrote:
> so p2p streaming? (an aside- why p2p? isn't this just bandwidth
> theft?)

How do you figure? If you choose to run a P2P app, the use of your
bandwidth is consensual.

> fancy tree structures?  multicast?  not sure about all that...but
> this is an existence proof - it works now, and it's just an
> ingenius, but relatively simple protocol.

Okay, but these papers I mentioned were published in major
peer-reviewed journals. The authors implemented prototypes and ran
extensive simulations to prove the workability of their solutions.

And "fancy tree structures" happen to form the backbone of all
computer science (yes, my LISP bias is showing again). The key
hierarchy covered in the Lam paper is an elegant solution to the
sticky problem of dynamic group membership in multicast environments.

> i suppose adding multicast to cooperate networks would enhance it,
> but the real problem appears to be in the actual streaming protocol,
> not improving the economics of the packets (eg. multicast.)

That's what publications like the Byers paper are addressing.

Mike
                         Michael A. Halcrow

"Security must be evaluated not based on how it works, but on how it
fails."
 - Bruce Schneier