Peer-to-peer streaming

Michael Halcrow mike at
Tue Jan 10 07:35:25 MST 2006

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 04:34:11PM -0700, Michael L Torrie wrote:
> Months ago there was discussion about peer-to-peer streaming.  I
> know Michael Halcrow and others were participating in this
> discussion.

After having spent some time reading research papers in a
graduate-level networking protocols class, I am absolutely convinced
that multicast routing is the best answer to the problem that P2P
streaming is attempting to solve. We would do better to focus on
overlay networks that implement such features than on these myriad
random one-off projects that really constitute a technologically
inferior solution (a "hack" or a "kludge").

For some examples of what you can do with multicast technology, read

That last paper has been superseded by another scheme that operates
more on an subtree-exclusionary basis; I'll have to see if I can't dig
up the paper for that. And if you're wondering just how it can be
feasible to deploy such sweeping changes on non-overlay networks:

                         Michael A. Halcrow

The observation of change is not empirical evidence for a time
dimension. It is evidence for change.