Gimp question

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Mon Jan 9 08:43:40 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 08:32 -0700, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
> Corey wrote:
>
> > Unless you want your transparent image to render properly in an
> > unfortunately common browser, Internet Explorer. It's a shame and a
> > great example that Microsoft has managed to popularize some of the
> > worst Internet software out there, but the fact remains.
>
> Yes, IE has buckets of trouble with RGB (full-color, alpha-blended)
> PNGs.  But it handles indexed (256-color, 1-channel transparency) PNGs
> just fine.  Thus, if you only need 256 colors and a single transparency
> channel, PNG is preferable to GIF... even in IE.

Well that's good to know. I'll have to try it out.

Really sucks not be able to use full RGBA images. The one trick I've
figured out is that IE will show the background color instead of the
proper background. As long as you set a reasonable background color in
the PNG, the image will at least look decent.

Corey