Gimp question

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Mon Jan 9 06:51:35 MST 2006

Charles Curley wrote:
> I have a GIF image I'd like to add text to. I open the image, I set up
> the text tool as I want it. This includes black for the foreground
> color. I go to the image, and click on a location, and start
> typing. The color of the text is only slightly darker than the
> original image color, and certainly is not black. What am I doing
> wrong?

After opening the image, the palette is initially limited to the colors
present in the GIF palette.  When you add text, it chooses the color
that it thinks is closest to the one you specified.  To make the full
palette available, after opening the image, switch to the RGB palette
using Image | Mode | RGB.  When you save the image back to GIF, it will
automatically downsample the palette in a relatively intelligent way.

Shane